Sunday, June 22, 2008

Evolution: Habitat (part 2)

It's interesting to watch a new animal in an new environment. Most of the time that they are pushed there, they spend time observing the other species around them, categorizing them in the friend/foe arenas. Yet at the same time, they are also observing their environment, finding the pleasureable spots as well as the emergency exits in case something should go wrong. I think I just strayed from talking National Geographic and turning it into a day of the life of a gay man. I am not comparing us to animals that work on instinct...well in a way, I am...but I am mainly talking about environment.

As a writer, I observe. I watch people's interactions to understand humanity. Finding out what makes them tick and what makes them get ticked off. I may be a silent person at first, but once I am familiar with the environment, it's hard to shut me up. Another thing with being a writer, I crave different experiences and want to hear people's stories.

Upon driving Rob home. I realized how tired I was, and how fucked I am for the next morning as I have to work at eight o'clock in the morning to do paperwork for camp. I really wanted to stay, but I didn't want to stay and leave like a hooker in the morning. After getting in my car and driving down the highway back to my hostile habitat, I realized that I wanted to go back. Something new. A new habitat.

I go to my work habitat, shelving paperwork and writing names for the camps schedule for the following monday. I get an invite from Rob to come back to his house for barbecue with his friends. Something new. I accepted. I was excited. Something new.

I arrive at his house. He was at the store. I spent time reading the latest GLT magazine to pass time. For some reason, I was nervous. Nervous about me being courageous and taking a step forward from where I had been the previous week. Feeling that my life is slowly going to start evolving again. Then he arrives with his neighbor, named Yvonne.

One thing that you discover about your new habitat is the new people you meet. They have insider's info of the person that you are hanging out with. I found out, while carrying some of Yvonne's groceries, that Rob went to culinary school. So dinner sounded so much better now.

When I returned to Rob's house, I met another person in Rob's habitat: his roommate Scott. I smile and introduce myself as Rob was putting groceries. I could tell from their subliminal interactions that they really didn't like each other. Or that Rob didn't just like Scott. I wanted to say it was comical to watch, until we sat at the table eating dinner with Yvonne, Scott, Rob and I. Sipping our margaritas. Scott gets up and walks back inside, because we were outside in the backyard. As soon as he steps inside, Rob and Yvonne start laughing. Being oblivious to what is going on...I had to ask.

"okay, I don't think I have ever seen him like that!" Rob said to Yvonne who was laughing. "He has a big time crush on you Pablo."
Okay. One thing about a habitat, is you get those weird people that don't really fit in the foe category. But they sure as hell don't fit in the friend category....but find themselves in that gray matter. Where other mysteries lie. Like the Bermuda Triangle, and X-Files.

One thing that I did notice is that when I am in the room, his roommate takes a sudden interest in where ever I am. For example, the night that I took Rob home. I noticed a series of gaudy clothes. Obvious proof of entering drag queen territory. I was praying it wasn't Rob that was into that. Today, when I arrived, he began to put them away, walking by the kitchen and internally pleading for me to exchange glances with him.

Dinner was still going on. And let me tell you, damn! Rob is a great cook. If there is anything that is a good dealmaker, it's a guy that knows how to cook. I am not talking about sticking a Kraft mac n' cheese in the microwave either. I am talking about making stuff from scratch, like marinade, complimenting other courses to the meal. Great aphrodesiacs let me tell you.

Scott returns to the table, turns on some Michael Buble, and offers me chocolate with alcohol in it. As he was explaining each of the chocolates and what types of alcohol that was in them, Yvonne starts talking. My attention was diverted to her, a woman's voice never sounded so pleasant than saving me from hearing Scott make the moves on me.

I felt uncomfortable having this guy try to get up on my business when I am busy trying to get in someone else's. I mean. He couldn't take a hint that I was not interested and continued going on.

After dinner, we created a little campfire and just sat by it. Smoking and talking. Well, I wasn't talking, I suddenly turned into observation mode and watched Rob and Yvonne talk. Several thoughts begin to ravel in my head.

As a writer, I begin to find a connection with incorporating this into my own script or series that I would be working on. Watching their interactions with each other while ignoring someone else's. Yet also at the same time, I was also watching their reactions. Gay men and girls are meant to be in perfect harmony. They didn't create Will and Grace for no reason. Watching how they were talking about meeting Yvonne's boyfriend and their descriptions of him, it got me thinking about my own little magnets (the nicer term for fag-hag). Lindsay and I talk about so much stuff. Observing the two, I pictured Lindsay and I talking for that long and if we lived next door to each other, this is how we would act. I almost became envious of what they have.

Eventually, Rob and I were left alone. Making little conversation but both taking a incredible fascination to the dying flames of the fires. I couldn't help but look at Rob while he was zoning out. Something about him, I can't put my finger on it yet....but I can tell that there is something that I find just so intriguing about him. maybe it's because he can cook. Or maybe it's because his habitat is so different, so friendly, so inviting, that I just don't want to turn away from it.

His friends, his house, his neighbor, his backyard, all different elements that are so new. Time was going smoothly as we were just sitting there, as I was observing my world changing once again. I hate change, but maybe I can allow this possible new habitat to have a chance...maybe...not making plans though...because if there's one thing that I learn from the last run, is to never make plans. The moment you do is when you lose something. Life never grants promises. Humanity can never guarantee someone happiness all day and all night. If they do, that's called valium. But the habitat that I found myself in has slowly become something that I am enjoying...

to be continued...

No comments: