Thursday, January 17, 2008

Drug House

Storytime! Location. Interior. Starbucks Cafe - Day
A little girl with her grandma holding hands. They stand there looking at the menu. I turn around to fix some coffee for the soon approaching rush. When I hear a little voice speak. "Can I get a Grande white mocha with two pumps of white mocha, half-caf, non-fat, whip cream, and at 140 degrees."
I turn around to write the order down. I look at the grandma as I am writing the order down on the cup. I pass the cup and take the order and replied "okay ma'am. what is your granddaughter getting?"
The grandma replied: "That's not my drink, it's hers. I just want a regular coffee."
I looked at the little girl and she gives me a cheery little cute smile. The kind that you see in the Limited Too posters.
I am probably one of the many people to say that I am appalled at how addicted to coffee we have become. We have become so dependent on that extra boost to get us through the day that without it, we are just sluggish, grumpy folk. And the sad part? I am encouraging this to continue.
Starbucks has become the Legal Drug House in America. I am not a barista, but a drug dealer. Except instead of making a Benjamin for an ounce of drugs, I make 8.25 an hour, plus tips.
You go to AMPM and see a whole fridge window dedicated to Monsters, Rock Stars, and Red Bulls. Sure it gives you wings, but it also comes with an S+M chain that makes you the caffeine's bitch.
People are no longer driven on the high of life, but on the high of the latte. Sure it's okay to have it every now and then, but three times a day? No way.

No comments: