Saturday, May 10, 2008

Songs about Cake

There are some really catchy songs in our day. We have Fergie singing about her "London Bridges." For me personally, I wouldn't want to touch her London Bridge, because to her, it's sweaty when we all know it's something else. Then there is the Macarena. A song that plays for five minutes repeating the same thing over and over again while we still have yet to understand what they are saying. My favorite is "Milkshakes" by Kelis. A song where she talks about her boobs. The tune is absolutely catchy, and although repetitive, can grow on you over time. But none can surpass the song of the seventies.
Seventies were all about disco, wearing roller skates to the clubs. Bell bottoms, high volume hair, bad fashion, and hip huggers (the introduction to the modern hoochy). Disco clubs are alot like our gay clubs: bumping with the music and fun---haven't gone to a straight club but I hear that they're lame. But we all know one artist that was pre-Madonna and oddly enough, is still around singing: Donna Summers
Recently, I was listening to her songs. And one of the songs, when I listened closely, had the ODDEST lyrics to date. It begins as a sad song, then it gets all disco and bumpy. I have to admit, it's one of my favorites (right up there with "Love to Love You Baby"). But when you hear the lyrics, you realize that she is singing about a cake that got messed up in the rain, and how she is upset that she doesn't have the recipe to make another one. I am talking about her song: "MacArthur Park."
I did some research on it before writing this blog, and I discovered that this song is a symbolic representation of a lover's lament. Taken from the poet W. H Auden whom described in one of his poems as "My face looks like a wedding-cake left out in the rain." It describes of a love that is lost and how she can never get it back again. But in spite of all that, the lyrics are about a cake?
The song was originally 8:40 and was part of the MacArthur Park suite which ran 19 minutes long. Containing three songs: "One of a Kind," "MacArthurs Park," and "Heaven Knows." I just thought it was funny how a disco diva sings a song about a cake and everyone in the club at the time, and even now, think it's a banging song. I like it, but I find it funny singing a disco song about cake, or about milkshakes...why all these fatty foods? Couldn't you sing a song about a carrot or a banana? That's somewhat sexual...

No comments: